Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Research and Reference

Citations

I used the EasyBib app and found it extremely easy to use.  If I was writing research papers, I would love this!  I remember writing papers in college and always having to get out my handbook to look up the right way to cite books and periodicals...this makes it so easy! I love that you can copy and paste into a word document as well.

Dictionary

I downloaded two dictionary apps.  First, I checked out Dictionary.com. Then I looked at Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

I found both dictionary apps to be easy to use and provided the essential information I was looking for.  When looking up a word, both provided the word in a list with others words around it, as you would see in the dictionary.  Both gave full definitions. Both showed the origin and history of the word.  Both allowed for the word to be spoken.  Both apps have a word of the day feature as well as a Favorites feature.  The Merriam-Webster app also had a recent searches feature that Dictionary.com did not.





Overall, I think I liked the Dictionary.com app better.  Some of the bonus features were that Dictionary.com also includes a translator, which can also speak the word or phrase in the new language.
This app also included a blog:

And a slideshow feature:



I also like that it had trending words, and that in the Word of the Day, you could also view the words for the week as well as scroll through previous day's words.

Online Bookmarking

Using Diigo is very similar to using Pinterest.  I didn't really see how it is much different.  I actually think Pinterest is great to use.  I like the way you can organize sites or pages you want to refer to on boards by topics.  In Diigo you can make lists...though, I think that is only online or something.  A tutorial I watched mentioned the list, but they were using it online.
Here is a screenshot of me saving a page to Pinterest in the Diigo Browser.


Pinterest is such a time saver for me.  I no longer have to wade through long lists of multiple folders with tons of bookmarks...it's all set up for me. I like the visual organization of the boards.  I like that you an share your boards with people and on Pinterest you an create secret boards, too!  My only problem is everything seems like a good idea and I have well over 2000 pins! Many of my pins are broken links now, since I've first started pinning.  And I really need to break down my Art Classroom board because it has so many pins, it takes too long to go through them.  



No comments:

Post a Comment