Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Creative Expression: Drawing Apps

BRUSHES

Since I've had my iPad, I carry it with me most everywhere I go.  Sometimes I want to sketch something.  If I don't have my drawing stuff and my sketchbook, I will draw on my iPad.  I learned that David Hockney uses the Brushes app for his work on the iPad, so I tried it...hoping I could do something as awesome as him!  This particular drawing I am working on (still in progress) was from a photo I took of my daughter drawing on a banana box.  The little drawings she made were super adorable and I wanted to show her creative spirit and how she didn't need a nice piece of paper to draw on, she just wanted to draw and spent hours working on this particular box.  I used the photo for the first layer, and then changed the opacity, so I was able to do the drawing on top of the photo in another layer.


PAPER by 53


This is my new favorite app! I love this mostly because I really have enjoyed drawing in my Moleskine notebooks over the past several years.  This app simulates a digital version of a Moleskine.  You can create several journals, sketchbooks or notebooks and you can customize your covers.  The free version comes with limited tools, but you can buy the rest through in app purchases: a fountain pen, markers, drawing pen, pencil and a watercolor brush. And here's the kicker...if you love your finished journal enough, you can get it printed with your custom cover and pages for like $40.  Seems kind of pricey, I know.  But the real Moleskines are close to $20 anyway.  I haven't filled a notebook yet.  But when I do, I plan to try the printing thing to see how it looks. 
This is a screenshot of the books I've created in Paper:


and this is a screenshot of a page spread in my sketchbook, with the tools displayed:


and yes, I did all that with my finger. At this point, I haven't found a stylus I love.  Paper 53 makes a Pencil Stylus that looks intriguing though!  It's only $60! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment